Saturday, May 9, 2009

Let the Garden Begin...




Today was opening day at the Falcon Heights Community Garden. The garden is located in a local park and has 29-12ft by 10ft plots. I signed up earlier in the year and we were lucky enough to get a spot. Its a very popular program and I am excited to be a part of it.

We planted seeds of: leaf lettuce, spinach, red potatoes, oregano, parsley, cilantro, snow peas, pea pods, bush beans, turnips, and radish. We thought we would start with 'easy' plants, but it hasn't necessarily ended up that way. When we were turning our soil and adding compost, we found some small red potatoes already sprouting in the soil. So I figured we might as well plant them and built a small hill for the potatoes. Potatoes are notoriously difficult to grow and organic potatoes are notoriously difficult to come by (many fungal diseases and a couple of severe insect pests)...we will see how that turns out.

I am going to try to take weekly pictures to document how things are coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment