Its been three weeks and we have signs of life from nearly everything we planted. Today we picked up some free mulch and spread it around some of the plants. Since we have had nearly NO rain, I hope the mulch helps keep the soil moist so we don't have to water for 25 minutes twice a week. The lettuce and the herbs just don't want to take. In case there was some issue with our previous planting, we planted more lettuce, cilantro, and basil today. We also added dill to the mix. Eric picked out some marigold and zinnia seeds to plant around the edges of the plot. These are supposed to attract beneficial insects (insects that eat pests like nematodes, aphids, whiteflies, etc.). Hopefully it will make our plot look a bit more 'pretty'.
The radishes were supposed to be ready today, but considering the lack of rain and the cool evenings we have been having, I think we will have to wait another week. Our second round of beans and peas are up and moving right along. Hopefully we will get some warm, wet weather to urge things along. Our peppers and tomatoes don't seem to be growing much, but once the nights warm up, I hope that changes.
looking good guys!
ReplyDeleteLooking good! Can't wait to try the fresh tomatoes. I have heard that marigolds also keep rabbits away.
ReplyDelete