Today we took a risk and transplanted our pepper and tomato seedlings (technically the last frost date for our area is June 1). We have FOUR types of peppers: green bell, anaheim, poblano, and jalapeno. I don't know anything about tomatoes, so I picked an early producing variety called '4th of July'. In fact, I don't particularly enjoy tomatoes in general, but last year we picked up some fresh tomatoes at the farmer's market and I couldn't believe how much better they taste when they haven't been shipped across the country in the back of a truck. Add some fresh mozzarella, basil, and balsamic vinegar and you've got an awesome caprese salad (but even fresh tomatoes don't belong on sandwiches). And since tomatoes seem to be the cornerstone of the home garden, I thought I would give it a try.
We also put up some trellises for our peas. We planted bush beans, so they shouldn't need support. We took out the eggplant and okra because they didn't look like they were going to survive and we needed the space for the tomatoes and peppers. We also planted a second round of peas and beans. We transplanted the free basil I picked up from the University greenhouse and planted basil from seed.
We still haven't seen any sign of life from the herbs we planted from seed and nothing yet from the lettuce or turnips...they should all be coming up very soon! If we don't see anything by next week, we might replant.
The potatoes we planted on a whim are coming up. Some green leaves are pushing through the small hill. Spinach is also coming along.
No comments:
Post a Comment